Make a MyLA311 General Service Request

 MyLA311 connects you to vital City services and resources, including:

  • An intake form to make Service Request for nonemergency issues, such as filling a pothole,  bulky item or trash pick-up, graffiti abatement, street light problems, parking enforcement, and much more.
  • Contact information to connect you with the appropriate City Department to best handle an issue. 

How to download MyLA311

To get started, download the MyLA311 app for Android or iPhone, submit requests using the MyLA311 website, or get in touch via any of the options below:

Note: For emergencies, please call 911.