Improving MyLA 311 Services For Residents To Report Street Issues

Geared towards improving public accessibility to City services, Blumenfield worked to expand the MyLA 311 mobile app and website which Angelenos can use to submit service requests and track the City’s response. As they travel around the Third District, Councilmember Blumenfield and his staff watch for and report items that need work, like potholes, graffiti, broken streetlights, illegal dumping and more. But we also need your help to keep the West Valley vibrant. It’s as easy as 3-1-1.

Click here to use the website to use MyLA 311 or call 311 to create a service request, search City services, and get connected with your local government. You can also download the app in your mobile app store by searching for MyLA 311. MyLA311 is your connection to more than 1,500 City services.

Popular services include:

  • Reporting dumping or trash collection issues
  • Requesting bulky item pick-up appointments
  • Reporting potholes, graffiti, street light problems
  • Parking Enforcement
  • Animal Services
  • General City and government information