At Tuesday's Los Angeles City Council Meeting, Councilmember Bob Blumenfield's initiative to increase access to high speed and wireless internet across Los Angeles received its first hearing before the Los Angeles City Council.
Less than 4 months since it was first introduced, Councilmember Blumenfield's push to bring community broadband to Los Angeles has worked its way through major milestones of the City process at “breakneck speed.”
Speaking in favor of the proposed broadband initiative on Tuesday were Councilmembers Englander, Krekorian and LaBonge who cited the proposal's benefits to public safety and workforce development in Los Angeles. Kevin Taylor, Chairman of the Reseda Neighborhood Council, which has adopted a motion in support of the proposal, also spoke in favor. The Council voted 13-0 to direct the City's Information Technology Agency to draft a request for proposal for release.
Please find relevant information, including press releases and select articles, below:
1. Here's How LA's Citywide Free Internet Plan Would Work (Curbed LA, Adrian Glick Kudler, 11/7/13)
2. LA City Council Moves Forward With Plans for Free Citywide Wi-Fi (KNBC-TV Channel 4, Mekahlo Medina, 11/6/13) [VIDEO]
3. Los Angeles moves ahead with free citywide Wi-Fi plan (89.3 KPCC, Brian Frank, 11/6/13)
4. L.A. seeks proposals to achieve free citywide Wi-Fi (Los Angeles Daily News, Rick Orlov, 11/6/13)
5. Free Wi-Fi across Los Angeles? City leaders make a new push (Los Angeles Times, Kate Linthicum, 11/6/13)
6. Blumenfield WiFi Initiative Gets First Hearing Before the Los Angeles City Council, Clears Crucial Hurdle (Press Release, Office of Councilmember Bob Blumenfield, 11/5/13)
7. City Takes Important Step Towards Implementation of Blumenfield's Citywide WiFi Initiative (Press Release, Office of Councilmember Bob Blumenfield, 8/27/13)
8. Blumenfield Pushes City to Utilize Technology to Make Government More Accessible, Effective and Efficient (Press Release, Office of Councilmember Bob Blumenfield, 8/13/13)
9. Blumenfield Calls for Free WiFi Access Across Los Angeles(Press Release, Office of Councilmember Bob Blumenfield, 7/30/13)